Tips On How To Make DIY Hand Sanitizers
Apart from the washing of hands with soap under running water, the use of hand sanitizers have become one of the common ways to get rid of germs from our hands. Using it is also faster and easier for making your hands clean. There has been an increasing demand for hand sanitizers in light of the outbreak of the coronavirus around the globe. Increasing demand of these products has caused shortages hence making them expensive on the market.
So, below are steps on how to make a homemade hand sanitizer that is non-chemical, and naturally scented. Items needed to make the hand sanitizer are:
- To kill the viruses: 2/3 cups of 91% to 99% pure rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol
- To moisturize: 1/3 cups of plain aloe vera gel
- To make it fragrant: 8-10 drops of your preferred essential oil (makes the sanitizer sweet scented, apart from offering anti-bacterial, anti-viral and antimicrobial properties). This ingredient is optional.
For your product to be very effective, use 99% isopropyl alcohol since that will increase the germ-killing effectiveness. You need a good base for your hand sanitizer, and you won’t find any much better than aloe vera gel. Aloe vera has vitamin C and E extracts that nourish your hands and ensure they don’t dry out. Aloe vera gel also comes in a variety of purity options. You’ll want the purest that you can find. Simply check out the label to get the purity information. This doesn’t alter the effectiveness of the product, but using the purest you can find will ensure that your final mixture contains the least amount of additives and additional chemicals.
STEPS TO FOLLOW
- Pour both the 2/3 cups of isopropyl alcohol and 1/3 cups of aloe vera gel in a bowl and mix thoroughly until the mixture is perfectly smooth.
2. Now add few drops of essential oil to the mixture and stir well to make the mixture nice scented. Note that the adding of the lavender should be based on how strong scented you prefer your product.
3. Finally, get a handy container you would like to fill your hand sanitizer with and pass it through a funnel into your container.
After you are done with following the steps above, your hand sanitizer is now ready for use. In case you have leftovers, keep them in an air tight container for future use.