Dubbed COVID-19, the new coronavirus seems to be spreading quickly on the African continent as two more countries, Senegal and Tunisia confirm their first cases. Senegal’s health minister, Abdoulaye Diouf Sarr has confirmed the first case of coronavirus in the country. The patient is a French man who lives in Senegal and flew back from France on 26 February, Mr Sarr told a press conference in the capital, Dakar.
The patient reported to a private hospital on 27 February with symptoms including a headache. The authorities are monitoring everyone who travelled on the same flight as well as the patient’s family. The minister said the country was prepared to deal with the virus, pointing out that Senegal had the facilities to test for the coronavirus. This is the second case in sub-Saharan Africa after one was confirmed in Nigeria last week.
Tunisia has also confirmed its first case of the deadly virus, the country’s health minister told journalists on Monday. Abdelatif el-Maki said the patient was a 40-year-old Tunisian man, who arrived in the country by boat from Italy on 27 February. He and the other passengers had been advised to monitor themselves. When his fever spiked, he contacted emergency services. In Africa, Tunisia, Algeria, Egypt and Nigeria have all confirmed cases of the virus.